LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.02.17 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 18 00:05:59 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.FEB.2003 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy Howey <andyandmae_howey at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.02.17 (04) [E]

Hello, all:

word "queue" and that it's limited to a very specific group, I have to
disagree.  I worked for four years in a data center in California as a
Computer Operator (no formal Computer Sciences background, so no need to
"appear sophisticated") and the word "queue" was a very active part of my
daily vocabulary, as a noun, a verb, and an adjective.  For example, "Did
you queue up the batch jobs?" or "There are 15 reports in the print queue."
or "Tonight's batch processes haven't been queued up yet."  I believe the
word will retain its currrency in that  environment for as long as there are
data centers that process daily, weekly, monthly, and annual report batch
jobs.

Andy Howey

From: Dana Lockhart <lockhdr at wku.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.02.16 (13) [E]
file://snip//

However, queue is used in Computer Sciences in a technical sense (to avoid
all the ambiguities with the word 'line'). The technical use of queue
is on the decline however. The only Americans who use queue in everyday
language are Computer Science majors trying hard to appear to be
sophisticated.
This is just an example of how American English has retained older language
constructs than British English.

file://snip//