LL-L "Language learning" 2003.02.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 19 15:29:53 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mathieu van Woerkom <mathieu.vanwoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Language learning

Leslie Decker wrote:
"The r's did cause a bit of trouble--my English friend
pronounced them just like she did in English, and I couldn't understand one
of the French girls at all because I could never tell if she was saying <r>
or <g>, because as far as I can tell, she pronounced them the same way."

I also get that a lot, my 'haar' sounds a bit like like 'haag'. I think this
happens a lot in Limburg, whereas for instance in the 'far west' (Den
Haag/The Hague, Leiden, Zoetermeer) the 'r' is pronounced more like the
English 'r'. In the end, it all depends on where you are and who you speak
with.
If you are a foreigner learning Dutch, don't worry too much about the 'r',
just don't pronounce it like in American 'really'! (At least, that's my
opinion about it...)

regards,
Mathieu
http://streektaal.cjb.net