LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.19 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 19 15:33:40 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.14 (10) [E]
Ian wrote:

"Not sure I was explaining myself properly! The fact remains, indisputably,
that
_judgment_/_judgement_, _queuing_/_queueing_,
_realise_/_realize_ etc are all valid alternatives in
Standard British English, regardless of which may be
predominant."

No - you explained yourself properly. I just disagreed with you. (These
things happen.)

What's more, I still believe your assertion is fundamentally flawed.
Shifting terminology descriptions away from "correct" (ugh) or "appropriate"
word options in non-US English to descriptions of the same as "valid
alternatives" is just a game of catch-me-if-you-can. "Judgment" isn't a
valid alternative to "judgement" in Non-US English, unless you are quoting a
US English speaker - and dictionaries merely display both so-called options
because Non US-English speakers have to be advised of the US English
equivalent even if, in nearly all circumstances, the US word would be
"corrected". This is especially true in Australian and (I suspect) Canadian
dictionaries.

If you really believe that "judgment", "queuing" and other such forms are
"valid alternatives" (like "labor", "color", "defense" I presume?), write
letters using them to as many British journals, newspapers, etc., as you can
and see how many are published unaltered. Seeing the film title "Terminator
2: Judgment Day" a lot doesn't mean that the spelling "judgment" has any
whatsoever in Non US-English, for example.

They may be valid alternatives in theory, but that doesn't make them valid
in fact. That's not a case of predominance (although it might once have
been) - it's just a case of conditioned usage.

Go raibh maith agat

Criostóir.