LL-L "What does it mean?" 2003.02.20 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 20 15:25:51 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.FEB.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John M. Tait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "What does it mean?" 2003.02.14 (12) [E]

Roger wrote:

>What does "freak" mean in this context: a "joke"?

It means a random event, and is used in such phrases as 'a freak storm' (one
which the forecasters didn't predict), etc. In this case, it means that
Ferguson didn't actually intend to boot the boot at Beckam (aren't we
alliterative today?) but it was a one in a million chance caused by (for
example) a butterfly flapping its wings in Japan!

As a gnarled old cynic who isn't interested in football (that's what some of
you call 'soccer'), I would be tempted to comment on the event from the
point of cultural identity (have to make my facetious comments sound learned
somehow!) . Sir Alex Ferguson's well-known temper tantrums are tolerated by
the English tabloid press as long as they achieve results for Manchester
United, the top English team, particularly in Europe. However, when one of
this Scot's tantrums slightly scratches the Golden Boy of the English
National Football Team...

Apparently Beckam, who usually wears shades and a baseball cap, has been
going around bare-headed to show off his scratch. (I learn all this from my
purely anthropologically-motivated scrutinisation of chat programmes such as
Richard and Judy!)

Any excuse to go off-topic!

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk