LL-L "Names" 2003.02.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 20 15:22:54 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: William Parker <William.Parker at three.co.uk>
Subject: Names

Lowlanders,

Ron wrote re Names:

>>E. Frankford = G. Frankfurt

I have to say that I have never seen this form of the "English" version of
the city name. Normally we use the standard German both cities (an der Oder
and Am Main). In general I would say that in the past British English has
typically used either the French form of German city names (e.g. Aix la
Chapelle, Cologne) and in some cases an anglicised version (e.g. Munich,
Hanover) rather than original German name word.  With the huge expansion in
cheap air travel over the past 20 years,  people are now much more aware of
the local name for a city and quite comfortable with using these in the
main. The examples of Aix and Cologne probably reflect the historic
influence of French in high culture in both the UK and German in the 18th
century, and the role these two cities played at that time.  Although in the
case of Aix I suspect this usage is being ousted by the German Aachen in
British speech.  For most British users their usage will be guided by names
shown on maps - which typically are in the main language(s) of that country

In general  towns / cities around the linguistic frontiers have multiple
names - usage depending on the language choice of the speaker. Eg for the
following languages G/D/F (and by default also English usage, probably
because of the historic influence French has had on English).

Aachen / Aken / Aix la chappelle
Luttich / Luik / Liege
Rijsel / Lille (in "Frans Vlaanderen")
Brugge / Bruges (but note English use for Zeebrugge, and Brussels for
Bruxelles/Brussel)

Regards