LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.20 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 20 22:33:44 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.FEB.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.20 (03) [E]

Ian wrote: "If you disagree with what I am
claiming is an indisputable fact (and I have no doubt
I have the agreement of the entire list apart from
you), the challenge is for you to produce sources for
your contention that there are no variations at all..."

Ian, this is no place to spit the dummy :) My entire contention is that
variations in Non US-English may exist *in theory*, but they do not exist
*in fact*. You argue that because such alternatives exist *in theory* (in
dictionaries, specifically), that proves that they exist *in fact*. You are
choosing to warp the argument by demanding that I go to exhaustive lengths
to "prove" my contentions when of course because my contentions on based on
the fact (there's that word again) that English is a convention-based rather
than prescription-based language (i.e., there is no English-language
equivalent of the definitive Academie francaise), and conventions are
notoriously difficult to "prove", because there's always someone like
yourself who insists that they do things differently.

The best "proof" I can offer you - no smoking guns here either, I'm afraid -
is that if you attempted to use "judgment" "queuing" or any of the other
versions we have been arguing over in a letter to one of your famed "London
broadsheets", or in manuscript to a publisher or in an essay or thesis, you
would be *automatically corrected*. That is because, no matter how much you
get red in the face over it, existence in a dictionary is not the same as
accepted usage. Alternatives that exist only in dictionaries are dead in the
water.

"Irish English is of course a whole other story. The
boys putting up the roadsigns even decided on 'CENTER'
a few years ago, although more recent signs have
switched back to 'CENTRE'. Canadian correspondents
will no doubt have their own stories on that issue!"

Where was this? I haven't seen it anywhere in Ireland. Perhaps it was a
momentary glitch that was later removed? The only controversy over roadsigns
in Ireland I've heard of in the last five years was the notorious re-signing
of Dublin, where CENTRE and CENTER were both eschewed in favour of AN LÁR.
This was soon replaced.

And by the way: "(and I have no doubt
I have the agreement of the entire list apart from
you)" You should always wait until the "entire list" has entered its
opinions before you make such presumptions. :) Just to prevent potential
future embarrassment. :)

Go raibh maith agat aris mo chara

Criostóir.