LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.24 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 24 18:37:42 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:  LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.23 (12) [E]

Gary wrote:

"Not posted for a while, but couldn't resist. I was
recently 'correcting' a paper written by a friend, and
one thing that I noticed was that she'd used '-ize'
and 'judgment', however forms such as 'travelling'.
Being British I changed the spellings of the former to
'-ise' and 'judgement' in the need to be consistent
with either British or American English. Forms with
-ize just look too American to me even though I'm
possibly being a bit pedantic."

This is basically the point that I had set out to make originally, but which
got wrapped around my neck - to use a Nottingham expression - and turned
into a protracted and heated debate.

As far as I am concerned (and I'm sure someone will expend the time and
energy to find evidence to prove me wrong), _judgment_ and _-ize_ are
perceived as blatant Americanisms, as inappropriate in a British context as
_color_ or _defense_. Whether they are etymologically or not is irrelevant:
I sincerely believe that most "British English" users see the issue that
way, if they notice at all. (And that is what we are really debating here -
the impossibility of defining majority usage.)

The most probable explanation is that both _judgment_ and _judgement_ were
once current in British English but that with the steady injection of
American English (which uses _judgment_, _-ize_ exclusively) into the
cultural bloodstream via Hollywood, the mass media and the internet there
there has been a kind of backlash with users of British English identifying
with the perceived "non-American" version. British English is, in effect,
trying to distance its spelling from American English - which is no bad
thing.

(One last point of contention for Ian and Chris - Hansard as you will both
be well aware is emphatically *not* a dictionary of conventional British
English usage and should not be presented as such to those vulnerable
language learners, as it is in fact a glorified transcription agency. It may
have editors and internal conventions and it may be linked to (but not a
part of) the British Government - it is in fact part of Parliament - but
that doesn't give it any higher authority over British English spelling than
a dictionary purchasable from WHSmith. And dictionaries, as has already been
pointed out, are torn between reflecting popular usage and the Academie
anglaise approach of sanctioning "appropriate usage". Furthermore, just to
be mischievous, if you *do* consider Hansard to be the arbiter of spelling
standards, Northern Ireland Hansard consistently uses _-ise_ and _judgement_
and other British English spellings so which Hansard is right and which
wrong; see http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/record/reports/021014.htm#1 and
http://www.ni-assembly.gov.uk/education/evidence/moe010510i.htm for the
oh-so-necessary evidence.)

I can feel the words contorting around my neck again... :)

Touché!

Criostóir.

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:  LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.23 (05) [E/LS]

Ian, Ron, Chris, Gary

Chris demanded evidence for my view that _judgement_ is a near-standard on
Fleet Street. As I have a little more time, please consult the following:

"Judgement Day" -
education.guardian.co.uk/specialreports/teachingawards2000/
story/0,5500,390584,00.html

"Judgement Reserved in Discrimination Case" -
education.guardian.co.uk/racism/ story/0,10795,530355,00.html

"Moore admits error of judgement" - media.guardian.co.uk/marketingandpr/
story/0,7494,575261,00.html

Or if you wish to go by circulation and political orientation:

Today's Sun - http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2003080420_2,00.html
Daily Mail - http://www.ce-review.org/00/27/craske27.html (see quote)
Daily Mirror -
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12224355&method=full&
siteid=50143
Daily Telegraph - www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/
money/2002/11/03/cnmicro03.xml;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2002/04/16/mortg5.x
ml
Independent - argument.independent.co.uk/regular_columnists/

Most websites require registration to search (particularly those owned by
Rupert Murdoch), which is why this list is far from exhaustive and why I
have given three example from the Guardian.

If Chris requires any more evidence I will be pleased to find it for him
when I have the time.

Go raibh maith agat

Criostóir.

----------

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Orthography

Gary,

At risk of running a little off-topic, there is a
reason for _Albtraum_.

Essentially compare 'die Not' with 'das Tod', 'die
Welt' with 'das Held', 'die Stadt' with 'das Rad'. In
all cases of course the final consonant is 'devoiced'.
But only in the case of feminines is it written to
reflect this.

The prefix 'Alp-' was deemed 'wrong' for this reason,
I believe.

Whether it was really worth going to the hassle not
even of changing it but simply making it 'optional' is
another matter...

I'll leave it to some others to bring this loop back
to Low Saxon!

Regards,

=====
Ian James Parsley