LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.24 (09) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 24 22:56:48 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Orthography

Ron,

Apologies for my gender errors, although actually they
make no difference to the point I was making - that
feminine seems to reflect the voiceless final, whereas
masculine/neuter doesn't.

I don't doubt there are many exceptions. But I am sure
my point was *something* to do with the change.

I actually thought the whole reform was a complete
waste of time and made the issue more confusing that
it previously had been, as evidenced by this very
debate!

That is again where I have a problem with 'academies'
and such.

Best wishes,

=====
------------------
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net
+44 (0)77 2095 1736
JOY - "Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>

Croistoir,

Haha! No word-wrapping around here, pal!

I never had any doubt at all that _judgement_ is more
common that _judgment_, and that _realise_ is more
common than _realize_ (and becoming more so).

I thank you for your 'evidence', but Chris' (and my)
point that _judgment_ stands as an *option* is to me
indisputable, since there is plenty of evidence for
*both*. _Judgement_ may be more common and more
logical, but _judgment_ remains clearly an option.
There *are* no authorities, which is why I have a
problem with people seeking to enforce one particular
spelling.

Your point about certain spellings being *perceived*
as Americanisms is absolutely correct. It is also
correct that there is a natural tendency in British
English (and possibly in other varieties, though I
can't speak for them) to try to differ from American
English, by choosing an exclusively British form over
one shared by both varieties.

You call this possibly a 'good thing', I see it as
rather pointless, but that is merely a matter of
opinion upon which we can agree to differ!

Regards,

=====
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net