LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.24 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 25 00:34:41 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2003 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: lingoman at webtv.net <lingoman at webtv.net>
Subject:  Orthography

I've found a sneaky way to add my off-topic complaints about the new
German spelling: namely, that it is taking High German closer to
Lowlands conventions.  To my mind, the big advantage over the Lowlands
languages that German had until now was the consistent writing of
compounds as one long word.  Neither English nor Dutch is as consistent,
nor as logical as German was.

I frankly can't see the logic of the new German spelling.  The guiding
principle seems to be change for the sake of change.  And many of the
changes are grotesque: it is now correct to write "eine Hand voll
Laender"!  Despite handful, handvol...

I'll tie the only real improvement into Lowlands languages too: the
esszet rule is a real improvement, bringing German a bit closer to the
predictability of Dutch in questions of vowel length...

Sean Roach

----------

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>

Gabriele,

> <sob>

No need for that, surely!!!

Like I say, irritating as it is for logical thinkers
like myself, spelling (and perhaps particularly
English spelling) very often just isn't logical.

Otherwise we wouldn't have adopted that barbaric
American _advisor_ - but we would have adopted
_traveler_, _dialed_, _fueling_ etc (on the basis of
_occurred_ vs. _remembered_)...!!!

Next question - does _judgement_ occur in American?

=====
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net
+44 (0)77 2095 1736