LL-L "Names" 2003.02.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 25 16:01:37 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
<http://www.lowlands-l.net> * admin at lowlands-l.net
<mailto:admin at lowlands-l.net> * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>

From: Allison Turner-hansen <athansen at arches.uga.edu>
Subject: The name "Angles" [E]

Dear Lowlanders,
The tribal name "Angles", according to two dictionaries I
consulted, was Latin, invented by Tacitus.  He called them that because of
the angular shape of their homeland, it is said.   We know that at some
point the Angles called themselves that, hence "English".  This seems to
me to be quite odd.  What was their name for themselves?  Why would they
adopt an outsider's designation?  Could this explanation be a mistake?
Perhaps they already called themselves "Angles", but with a different
meaning, and Tacitus drew his own false conclusion.  If the latter is
true, could the name "Angles" somehow be derived from "Ing"?  I would
appreciate any thoughts you might have on the subject.

Thanks,
Allison Turner-Hansen

* Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>>.