LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 25 16:01:45 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
<http://www.lowlands-l.net> * admin at lowlands-l.net
<mailto:admin at lowlands-l.net> * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>

From: John M. Tait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.23 (12) [E]

Ian wrote:

>To turn the loop back to the original point, this
>little exchange has illustrated very neatly the
>problems facing Scots. My whole reasons for raising
>this (and continuing it) was to illustrate that we
>cannot just go around enforcing our own preferences -
>however logical they may appear to us. If a certain
>spelling is well enough established, we may have no
>option but to accept it.

I would argue that, whereas in English most spellings are well established
and the controversial ones are (probably) a small fraction of one percent,
in Scots it is the other way round. There are, in Scots, a number of words
which have conventional spellings, such as _guid_, even though in some cases
(like _maun_) they do not reflect common pronunciations. But any spelling
with 'ee/ei/ie', 'ui/u-e/ai/ee/oo', and many others, is up for grabs. The
consequences can be seen in some writing where triplets like 'guid', 'flair'
and 'toom' occur - all having the same underlying phoneme, but one spelt
with a representation of that (dia)phoneme; one a fossilised Central dialect
spelling, and one an inaccurate approximation to the older pronunciation,
the result being unpronouncable in any dialect. People who spell this way -
and similarly 'maitter', 'jaicket', etc - use exactly the argument that
these are the conventional spellings, though where they derive this
information from is beyond me. Does bad precedent have to be regarded as
convention, even in a language like Scots which hardly anyone knows how to
spell anyway?

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk