LL-L "Resources" 2003.02.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 25 17:40:10 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Resources

Lowlanders,

Below please find a message left in our guestbook.  Unfortunately, the
author did not leave her email address, so I cannot get back to her.

I assume she is referring to our online presentation "Lowlands Talk":
http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/

As most of you know, this series is still under construction, will probably
always be a work in progress, and we certainly could do with some more help
from volunteer writers and translators.  Of course I agree that it would be
very nice to add an introduction to Westfries to it, especially because
there is so much ignorance about it outside the Netherlands where people
assume the name "Westfries" refers to "West Frisian," namely to
"Westerlauwer Frisian."

***

Author: vera

What i miss on this site is a reference to "het west-fries", a dutch
language spoken in a part of North-Holland (= the province of the
Netherlands in which Amsterdam is located) Or to be more precisely: within
the area surrounded by a dam named "Westfriese omringdijk".

For more information of the area see: http://home.wanadoo.nl/omringdijk/ or
http://www.westfriesgenootschap.nl/
http://www.west-friesland.com/

To give you an idea of the status of this language: 1. there is a dictionary
of the westfries (written by the late professor Jan Pannekeet who dedicated
a lot of time to the success of promoting Westfries as a language).
2. read : http://members.chello.nl/e.hoekstra8/64IPPWestfries.html (a.o.
description of the differences with other Lowlands language-groups)

To see examples of the westfries:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/252fb/
http://www.geocities.com/skepping/Skepping.html
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/cj.schouten38/page0007.html
http://213.84.248.151/Gulden/gedicht.htm
http://www.kistemaker.nl/ls/lsfram.htm?ls07
http://www.webbies.nl/noordholland/hoorn/wervershoof/de_snoek.htm
http://www.westfriesgenootschap.nl/creatief/creatief.html
or even:
http://www.zaannet.nl/taal.htm (The Zaanstreek is located next tot
Westfrieslad, therefore the "Zaans" is a dialect which resembles Westfries)

Webmaster I hope this is enough to persuade you to add WestFries to your
site (and we're not offended when placed under Dutch)

Website: | Url: http:// | Email: