LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.25 (10) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 25 21:50:39 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
<http://www.lowlands-l.net> * admin at lowlands-l.net
<mailto:admin at lowlands-l.net> * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com <mailto:parsleyij at yahoo.com>>
Subject: Orthography

John M.,

Yes, I agree. Scots has far fewer 'conventions', so it
is clearly quite different from English (any variety).
It is also crucial that anything that is written is
written consistently - for example, choose _aa_,
_haa_, _faa_ or _aw_, _haw_, _faw_ - I would suggest
both are 'equally valid' at this stage, but it is
necessary to go with one or the other.

Best,

=====
------------------
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net <http://www.ianjamesparsley.net>
+44 (0)77 2095 1736
JOY - "Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com <mailto:parsleyij at yahoo.com>>

Ron,

_Supervisor_ is, er, completely different and you know
it... <wry grin>

Anyway, I've no problem with _judgment_ or _queuing_ -
but _aging_ without the <e>... oh may those who run
Orthography Hell have mercy on you! <devilish grin>

Yours in Illogic,

=====
------------------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ian (abuin):

> Anyway, I've no problem with _judgment_ or _queuing_ -
> but _aging_ without the <e>...

Och, Ian, Ian, Ian, ma fine, fierie, finnichie fere!

_Oxford Dictionary_:

<quote>
adviser
[f. ADVISE + -ER1]
Adviser remains the usual spelling, but advisor is freq. used (esp. U.S.) in
the titles of persons whose function it is to give advice.]
</quote>

<quote>
ageing, aging, vbl. n.
[f. AGE v. + -ING1.]
</quote>

Onieroad ... ag(e)ing-shmag(e)ing -- yer fume an ire about thae parteeculars
are gey engag(e)ing. So ye maunna tent ma batherin an kittlin.

> oh may those who run
> Orthography Hell have mercy on you! <devilish grin>

Ay, thay'v haed a heap o merciment upo me awreadies. A hae a season ticket
tae the annual play-affs afore the Yett o Orthography Hieven, an frae upby
we can see the muckle picter.  No English spellers tae haund, tho. Thay
hinna qualifeed yit.

Cheers!

* Please submit postings to lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.