LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.25 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 25 23:49:30 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2003 (16) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Orthography"

> From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com <mailto:parsleyij at yahoo.com>>
> Subject: Orthography

> John M.,

> Yes, I agree. Scots has far fewer 'conventions', so it
> is clearly quite different from English (any variety).
> It is also crucial that anything that is written is
> written consistently - for example, choose _aa_,
> _haa_, _faa_ or _aw_, _haw_, _faw_ - I would suggest
> both are 'equally valid' at this stage, but it is
> necessary to go with one or the other.

The examples John gave are quite different, though -
they're not equally valid as the apply only to certain
dialects or depend on outdated spelling conventions that
could mislead modern speakers.

Yours are equally valid, however, but you haven't
explained why it's necessary to go with one or the other.

Explanation, please?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/