LL-L "Names" 2003.02.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 26 15:30:17 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.02.25 (01) [E]

> From: Allison Turner-hansen
> <athansen at arches.uga.edu>
> Subject: The name "Angles" [E]
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
> The tribal name "Angles", according to two
> dictionaries I
> consulted, was Latin, invented by Tacitus.  He
> called them that because of
> the angular shape of their homeland, it is said.
> We know that at some
> point the Angles called themselves that, hence
> "English".  This seems to
> me to be quite odd.  What was their name for
> themselves?  Why would they
> adopt an outsider's designation?  Could this
> explanation be a mistake?
> Perhaps they already called themselves "Angles", but
> with a different
> meaning, and Tacitus drew his own false conclusion.
> If the latter is
> true, could the name "Angles" somehow be derived
> from "Ing"?  I would
> appreciate any thoughts you might have on the
> subject.
>
> Thanks,
> Allison Turner-Hansen

Well, here I go, and shame on me that my point of view
is not the accepted theory.

The Romans started their fieldwork/inventory of the
tribes in the west and north with a major 3-part

Herminiones: the Germanic tribes
Ingvaeones: the Celtic tribes
Istvaeones: the Finnic tribes.

Ing- once was pasted on the little continent on the
other side of the sea; I guess that for an explanation
of Ing- you make someone have a look in the Celtic
languages.

vr. gr. Theo Homan

----------

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi all

I seem to remember somewhere reading that 'Angle' came
from the name of the fishing hook which the tribe
used, etymologically related to Latin 'angulus'. Hence
modern English meanings of 'angle' as 'to fish' (from
Germanic) and 'the space between two intersecting
lines' (from Latin). In a similar way 'Saxon' comes
from the Germanic word for 'stone' or 'saw' as the
tool they used.

Gary