LL-L "Phonology" 2003.02.26 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 26 16:57:17 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.02.25 (13) [D/E]

14:00 25-2-2003 -0800, Lowlands-L:
>I have heard
>Dutch people pronounce nieuwe with a "v" sound.

A very soft and voiced v, an approximant. That is the normal
realisation of the phoneme in de north of the language area. So in
words like "nieuwe" the question is whether is should be considered
structured as "niew-e" (that produces a round w), or "nie-we"
(resulting in a "soft v").
Such a soft v isn't a v withing the Dutch pronunciation system, but
it way seem to sound like that to speakers of other languages.
(I left out the u in nieuw(e), because that is merely a spelling
convention, it isn't pronounced).

>This seems to me to be a spelling pronunciation,

I don't think so, see above.

>and I certainly don't think it's widespread,

I think it's very common.

>but I do have an otherwise wonderful old book (A Dutch phonetic
reader /
>E.E. Quick & J.G. Schilthuis. University of London Press, 1930) with
>Dutch texts in IPA transcription, and they use the "v" pronunciation in
>similar words throughout. My theory is the sound shift that seems to
>have happened during the 20th century, whereby Dutch w became more or
>less v, and v became more or less f, but that's another can of worms!

I expect it to much much older. Note that in German, the written v
has a full f sound, and the German written w always has the sound of
a northern Dutch inititial w.
("Northern" not in the sense of coming from Groningen, but of "north
of the big rivers").
--
<http://rudhar.com>