LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.26 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 26 21:23:54 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.26 (04) [E]

At 08:28 AM 02/26/03 -0800, Criostóir wrote:

>I always used to write, "my wife and me" but caved in recently after
getting
>weary of being 'corrected' to "my wife and I". I still say _mi waaif en
mie_
>when I speak, though.

I'm confused.  When did you write this?  Obviously it's quite correct in
the objective form, such as in "He gave it to my wife and me," but
incorrect in the subjective form, as in "My wife and me went to the
theatre" (though usually that comes out as "Me and my wife...").  It's not
a real big deal to me, but to use these forms in the wrong places is still
a big class identifier, isn't it?  What I would tell my daughter when she
started picking up a few of these practices from school is if you're also
prepared to say "Me went to the theatre," then at least no one could fault
you for inconsistency.

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada