LL-L "Phonology" 2003.02.26 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 26 21:31:01 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jan Strunk <strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.02.26 (06) [E]

Leiwe Lü,

Actually, I've in my part of Westphalia that's the
Ruhr District (where Low Saxon has almost died out and
is only very much present as a substratum in the local High German),
people seem to pronounce word like school as
"schkaul" that is with a voiceless alveo-palatal fricative followed by
voiceless
velar stop. I don't know if this is how it has been in former days.
Maybe it is some kind of change in progress from older "sk" to newer "sh".
Or even High German influence. I have no idea. What about the rest of
Westphalia?

Gued gaon!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de