LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.27 (15) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 27 23:51:46 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2003 (15) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Gary and Dan,

I'm not being clear again - what I meant by 'personal
gripe' is something about *Standard English* that
strikes me as utterly illogical. I should have made
that clear.

Gabriele's original example of _didn't used to_ *is*
Standard British English (although I would advise any
writer just to avoid the construction altogether
because to many people it still doesn't 'sound right')
- it's just that she and I don't like it because we
both find it utterly illogical.

Likewise, my example of _he was stood there_ *is* now
Standard British English (although yes I agree, I
think it is most common in the north of England and
nonstandard speech) - wearing my editor hat I may give
it a dotted line (noting that it could be rephrased)
but I don't think I would have any right to 'correct'
it. It is, as you say, perfectly common speech - it's
just that I personally don't like it!

My point is that different people will have different
'gripes', but sometimes we just have to accept that
usage is usage, and indeed that language change is
language change (_lie_ and _lay_ *will* merge in
English, whether we like it or not!)...

Another thing about language is that it can bite back
if you're not careful! A bit like driving, it's easy
to criticize other people and be self-righteous, but
none of is (are?) perfect all of the time!

But yes, people who say 'pron*o*unciation' deserve no
sympathy at all... <mischievous grin>

=====
------------------
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net
+44 (0)77 2095 1736
JOY - "Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>

Criostoir,

[You wrote]
I always used to write, "my wife and me" but caved in
recently after getting weary of being 'corrected' to
"my wife and I". I still say _mi waaif en mie_ when I
speak, though.

[I wrote]
"Of course, that is not to say I disagree with you,
Ed. Trying to tread carefully, I have to say that if I
submitted a text to an editor and it came back with
_judgment_ 'corrected' but _my wife and me_ as a
nominative left unchallenged I would be slightly
miffed!"

[You wrote]
I was careful to point out that the _mi waaif en mie_
was Nottingham English rather than standard written
English (hence the different orthography). Of course I
wouldn't write _my wife and me_ in a standard
English text, so Ian wouldn't encounter it as an
editor.

In the context of this list where every person's
spoken language is valid I don't like these
insinuations that Nottingham English constructions are
somehow 'bad English' or 'unacceptable aberrations'.
On the contrary. They are my native language. Please
respect that.

[My reply]
Where did I insinuate any such thing?

I actually went to great lengths to explain the 'rule'
behind the construction - ie pointing out that it was
perfectly 'acceptable' to say 'my wife and me' without
necessarily meaning you say 'me' as a stand-alone
nominative.

As shown above, *you* were the one who mentioned
*writing* 'my wife and me'.

Criostoir, I must put it to you respectfully that
international lists such as this simply do not
function unless we leave our prejudices outside the
door. Your idea that I was somehow 'insinuating'
anything of the sort you suggest is utterly fanciful
and I can only assume you are taking what I write to
mean something completely different because of my
perceived background. You *must* base such comments on
what I *actually* write, nothing else!

As one who has spent years campaigning for the
promotion of local vernaculars right across the UK and
Ireland, I find the idea what I would suggest anything
at all is 'bad' or 'wrong English' quite insulting.
'Nonstandard' yes, 'bad' or 'wrong', no!

Beannachtaí

=====
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net