LL-L "Names" 2003.02.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 28 16:02:04 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.02.27 (08) [E]

From: wkv at home.nl   wim verdoold zwolle netherlands.

Hi,

and lets not forget the word "dalgrond"   land left over after the
peatbogs are developed, the peat is sold, the sand under the peat layers
is mixed with the top soil that used to be on top of the peat.

Any how, a lot of peat bogs were sold as peat and the left over land,
the "dalgronden", were settled by farmers.

Maybe this has something to do with the name Dalman too.

Moi!

wim

From: corber <corber at shaw.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Names"

Dear Lowlanders;
Regarding the name" England". Is it Angle or Saxen ,obviously meaning "end
land" or "End of Land" ?, Maybe the people that gave that name to England
believed that there was no land beyond England..
   Cornelius Bergen