LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.28 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 28 17:57:03 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.27 (01) [E/LS]

Ian James Parsley wrote:

I know I'm repeating myself here. Its purely in order to keep up with the
debate. I'm not trying to hammer home a point ;-)

<snip>
> In all seriousness, a phonemic spelling does not solve
> the problem I put forward. In the dialects of Ulster
> Scots I am familiar with, the equivalents of English
> 'old' and 'cold' rhyme. In other dialects (such as
> East Central), they do not.

The reason for that is  that the vowel in 'Haud' v. is generally /O or A/ in
Scotland
'Haud' comes from O.Sc. 'hald'. 'Hauld' would be the expected development as
in 'bauld' (bald), 'cauld' (cold), 'fauld' (fold) etc.
'Haud' seems to come from a short vowel form that seems to have followed a
development as in 'maut' (malt), 'saut' (salt) etc.
An unstressed form of 'haud' - 'hud' also exists, especially when followed
by a stressed adverb.
In Ulster the form 'hauld' /@ul/ seems to be wide-spread though the form
'haud' is found in Donegal (Traynor)
The final <d> may be silent.

Interestingly noun forms seem to prefer 'hauld' as in 'hoose an hauld' etc.

> A wholly phonemic system does not solve this problem.
> Why would an Ulster speaker want to spell what to them
> is the same sound two different ways to suit East
> Central speakers? Why would an East Central speaker
> want to spell what to them are two distinct sounds the
> same way just to suit Ulster speakers?
<snip>
> Ultimately, bizarre though it at first seems, it is
> often just easier to resolve such debates by simply
> relying on etymological origins or simple
> (traditional) convention, and a dose of commonsense.
>
> So in Scots it's _hauld_ and _auld_ on the basis of
> etymology, no disputes at all... <covers ears again>

Though both words (auld, haud) use the cluster <au> there are infact two
clusters determining the underlying phonology <aul> and <au>.

I would simply accept 'hauld' as an Ulster variant of 'haud'.
By doing so the underlying phonology still applies.

Andy Eagle