LL-L "Identity" 2003.01.01 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 1 22:23:08 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JAN.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Identity" 2002.12.31 (05) [E]

Ross May wrote:

>If my replies are colored by my conservatism, sobeit.  But, I do not
>subscribe to the school of political correctness.  If I use a term, such
>as, "uncivilized world", instead of the politically correct
term,"developing
>world," please do not correct me.

For once, I agree. Of course there is an "uncivilized world". There is,
however, no such thing as an uncivilized country or nation. Still, there are
lots of uncivilized people, and they are found everywhere, in every town and
country, not to mention quite a few governments. Their main distinguishing
feature is their intolerance towards other cultures, races, genders, skin
colours, languages, lifestyles and beliefs.

Allow me to quote M. Gandhi who, when asked what he thought of Western
civilization, replied: "I believe it would be a good idea!".

By the way, just like Ron, I realized that, at our little New Year's Eve
party last night, we were ten people from five different nations - and,
although four of them were my closest family, I was the only German there!
Well, if you count in our Turkish neighbor whose balcony one of the boys
accidentally set on fire with a rocket and had to climb up and douse it with
a pot of soup that happened to be standing there (none of my kids, thank
Heaven), there were even six nations involved! :-)

May the world become more civilized in 2003!!

Best wishes to you all (including "Paul" Prohaska),
Gabriele Kahn