LL-L "Resources" 2003.01.01 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 1 22:29:59 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JAN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.12.31 (03) [E]

Quoting:
"You are write..."
"So I am greatful"...

Ron, that must have been SOME party!! ;-)

There is yet another Platt version of "Dinner for One", this one a stage
version which is set in Mecklenburg. In this one, the lady is a tad less
refined... it's a different translation altogether. We taped it from TV
three years ago, but I don't know whether there's a transcript to be found
on the Internet. We were a little disappointed because, although it was
broadcast on a local station from Mecklenburg, the characters still speak
watered-down "Platt", and very slowly, just to make sure that every
"regular" German speaker can understand it. This makes the whole thing a bit
long-winded, and it sounds somewhat clumsy. Also, of course, no one could
possibly even get close to Freddie Frinton's performance.

Cheers,
Gabriele

----------

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>

Leiwe Lowlanders, ik wünsch ink en gued Niijaor!

There is also a tv version of Dinner for one in Low Saxon.
I have it on video cassette.
That's what the NDR (North German Television) has to say
about it:
"Zur Jahrtausendwende ließ der NDR allerdings eine colorierte Fassung
erstellen.
Im gleichen Jahr entstand "Dinner for One" up Platt. Das Stück wurde an der
Fritz-Reuter-Bühne in Schwerin aufgezeichnet."

The text is not as much different from the original as the radio version
below, but
still a little altered. And the setting is a northern German Gutshoff again.

Holt ink wacker!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de