LL-L "History" 2003.01.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 5 00:34:17 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JAN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2003.01.03 (01) [E]

Ron

I have been very curious about the East German ethnic cleansing but have had
a great deal of difficulty in obtaining factual information about the
subject.  Isn't there a scholar somewhere curious about the details of what
is possibly the greatest forced mass migration in history?

I would like to know what agencies were entrusted with this task and were
they actually authorized to execute people who refused to leave their
ancestral homes?  For that matter, what sort of guidelines were issued to
help determine ethnicity?  The issue of ethnicity was once much clearer in
my mind than it is now.  For example, my brother married a woman of
Polish-American ancestry years ago.  However, her family name was German
(Lampe) and her family was Lutheran.  I used to think that all Poles were
Catholic.  Yet many of her family speak Polish and they all resolutely
identify themselves as being Polish.  Would her family have been expelled if
they had lived , let us say, in Danzig, after World War Two?

Tom Byro

R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: History

Tom,

I cannot competently answer your questions above.  If anyone can and the
response has a definite Lowlands focus, he or she is welcome to do so on the
List.  If there is no such focus, the information ought to be exchanged off
the List.

Friendly regards,