LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.04 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 5 00:40:09 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JAN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.03 (03) [E]

Ron

Most of my books are boxed and inacessible, so I am working under severe
handicaps.  However, it is my understanding that Tyr (or Tiw)and Wotan were
sepparate gods.  I recall a story involving the Fenris Wolf, where the Gods
asked the dwarves to fashion a cord that the wolf could not break.  He let
himself be bound with this cord but asked Tyr to put his right hand in his
mouth, so that he could bite off the hand if he could not release his bonds
and the agods failed to do so.  He could not break the cord and Tyr lost his
hand.

Anyway, one of my books suggested that Tyr was once regarded as the chief of
the gods, prior to the ascendancy of Wotan.  Before him, it was the god Ull.
It would appear that Tyr deserves to have tuesday named after him.

Tom Byro

</quote>
http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/moc/moc12.htm

But does this mean that Tuesday and Wednesday are named after the same god?

Mathieu gave the Limburgish names:
> Maondig, Dinsdig, Goonsdig, Dónderdig, Vriedig, Zaoterdig, Zóndig

Compare this with Yiddish (given by me):
> Montik, Dinstik, Mitvokh, Donershtik, Fraytik, Shabes, Zuntik

Note vowel "reduction" of the word for 'day'.  Is this a Rhenish areal
feature?  (Yiddish is said to have originated in medieval Rhenish German.)