LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.01.04 (04) [E/Cornish]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 5 01:06:26 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JAN.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Daniel Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2003.01.03 (04) [E/S]

Dear Chris Ferguson,

   As a Cornish speaker I`m very interested in the Gaelic situatiation.
If Ron feels that this is too off topic, I`d be happy if you osted some
material and or information to me directly. Especially use of Gaelic in
the communities. Is the language passed on to the following generation.
Attitudes to the mother tongue, etc.

Gans oll ow holon vy, ha yehes da y`n bledhen noweth ma ha woja hemma
ynwedh,

Dan

----------

R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language contacts

Dan, Chris, Lowlanders,

Information about Celtic (or any other language group) is welcome on
Lowlands-L if it is Lowlands-focused or at least indirectly helps us to
better understand Lowlands-related subjects (for instance linguistic
features, sociolinguistic phenomena or language policy issues by way of
comparison).  Information that does not meet these criteria ought to be
exchanged off the List.  Of course, contacts between Celtic languages and
the Lowlands languages English and Scots are an extensive subject area.  To
be permissible on Lowlands-L, however, the focus would have to be on English
and/or Scots rather than on the Celtic languages of the British Isles.  It
would be perfectly fine if, for example, you wanted to discuss English
influences on Cornish or interesting English loans in Cornish, information
that benefits our knowledge of English (a Lowlands language), besides our
understanding of Anglo-Cornish contacts.  Needless to say, information about
Celticisms in English dialects of Cornwall would be perfectly suitable for
this list.

Needless to say, the same applies to, say, Anglo-French contacts on the
Channel Islands (involving Romance), Netherlandic-Walloon-French contacts in
Belgium and France (involving Romance), Lowlands-Saxon-Scandinavian
contacts, Lowlands-Saxon-German contacts, Lowlands-Saxon-Slavonic contacts,
Anglo-Maltese contacts (involving Semitic) ... and the list goes on, as you
can imagine, considering alone contacts English, Dutch, Zeelandic and
Afrikaans had and have outside Europe.

In all of these cases the focus of a thread (though not necessarily of a
single posting) must be and must remain "Lowlands."

I hope this has made it clearer for you.

Friendly regards,