LL-L "Phonology" 2003.01.08 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 9 00:10:35 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JAN.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Etymology"

> The Eastern Friesland LS _köest_[kœ:st]/_kösten_[kœsn] (German: Kruste) of
> course means the crust of a bread, not the end-piece(s). The same can be
> meant by _kânt_(sg.)/_kanten_(pl). A slice of bread is a _kârw_(sg.) /
> _kārwen_ or a _brüeğ_(sg.)[brY:G] / _brüggen_(pl)[brYN]. For the
> end-piece(s) I only know _kâp_(sg.) / _kappen_(pl.) = cap/s.
> Holger
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Holger:
>
> > The Eastern Friesland LS _köest_[kœ:st]/_kösten_[kœsn] (German: Kruste)
of
> > course means the crust of a bread,
>
> That is _Körst_ [k_hœ3`st]  ~ _Köst_ [k_hœ(.)st] ~ _Köss_ [k_hœ(.)s] in
most
> other dialects of Northern Saxon.  Optional lengthening of the vowel (due
> /r/-"loss") may distinguish the word from _Köst_ [k_hœst] ~ _Köss_ [k_hœs]
> (~ _Kost_ [k_hOst] ~ _Koss_ [k_hOs]) 'diet', 'food', '(room and) board'.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hello Ron !
"Optional lenthening of the vowel due to /r/-loss" can't be the whole truth.
In EFLS we have pairs or triplets (for example: a; ā; â) of vowels differing
in length but forming a group distinct from others You probably would regard
as similar.
For the ö-sounds these are:
1) ö / öe  [œ / œ:]
2) öö / ööe [ø; / ˆø:ø]
The ~öe~ from 1 can stand for it's own or with a ~r~ following. The same is
correct for ~ö~.
These lengthening-pairs or triplets have several functions:
a) they can distinguish different meanings (köst = diet / köest = crust)
b) they can mark a change from singular (long) to plural (short) forms (röet
= rat / rötten = rats)
c) they can mark the change between present tense and past tense ( häi bölkt
/ häi böelk)
d) they can mark an adjective as beeing an attribute (dat band is lös / dat
löes band)
There is never a mixing between the groups. That means: You never can change
from ~öö~ to ~ö~ for example.
It might seem as if the öe-sound replaces a ~ör~ because the German
pronounciation of ~ör~ is somewhat similar to that of ~öe~ but as You can
see in the examples I have given (and I could give many more)  it is really
a sound of it's own in EFLS (as an example with ~r~ compare: föerk /
förken).
Kind regards
Holger