LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.08 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 8 21:15:13 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JAN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.08 (01) [E]

Holger wrote:

>And as an additional remark on _juckeln_ (in EFLS _jüükeln_ with the
meaning
>of fast somewhat uncontrolled driving) meaning slow driving it might be
>nearest related to German _zuckeln_ which is mostly used for the slow
motion
>of horses.

Well, yes, but "jökeln" also definitely has a connotation of bumping up and
down because the vehicle is going as fast as the suspension and the
passengers' stomachs will allow. :-)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Bob Stockman <bsman at iserv.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.07 (12) [E]

With regard to the end slice of a loaf, in our Hanovarian Platt we said
knoos, where the vowels rhyme with those in the Low German word for book.  I
remember fighting over it with my brother, but I can't remember it tasting
very special.  It is close to the High German word knusp, meaning crisp.
That last slice was crisper than the others, and I've always preferred
crunchy food.

Bob Stockman

----------

From: luc.hellinckx at pandora.be <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Beste liëglanners,

The end piece of a loaf is usually called "knoebbe" in Brabantish. The word
can also be used to describe the end piece of a large ham or cheese. Any
food actually, which has the shape of a heel. Quite often a diminutive form
is used : "knoebbeke" or also "tnoebbeke". "Kanten" on the other hand is
just another word for "boterham", a thick slice of bread. The expression "a
kante gaa vragen" thus means "to beg" : going from house to house in order
to get some bread.

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Luc (above):

> "Kanten" on the other hand is
> just another word for "boterham", a thick slice of bread.

It is my impression that this is also the case in many Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) dialects.  I certainly would not hesitate to call a thick slice of
bread (not just an end piece) _'n Kanten (Brood)_, especially if I wanted to
"dramatize" that it is just a chunk of bread with nothing on it.  _'n
Knacken (Brood)_ might also do it, might even be more "dramatic" in denoting
a hefty chunk.  _'n (dicke) Schiev' Brood_ ("a thick slice (of) bread")
wouldn't do it for me, besides sounding too "geel" ("yellow" = literally
translated from "High" German _eine (dicke) Scheibe Brot_.)