LL-L "Delectables" 2003.01.09 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 9 16:07:18 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JAN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.08 (01) [E]

Anyone

Does anyone have a recipe for Graubrot?  It is a dense mass with hardly any
air bubbles and was my favorite bread in Westphalia.  I was able to buy it
for years in the states, made by Kosters bakery but they went out of
business years ago.  Can't find a recipe in my Doctor Oetker cookbook
either. The ends were my favorite part.

Tom Byro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Tom,

Part of your problem may be that few people in Germany bake this type of
bread; they buy it (and then they get frustrated when they can't find it
abroad).  I can get it here if I go out of my way, also _Vollkornbrot_ (real
Northern stuff, especially Westphalian), and I have changed many an
American's concept and expectation of "bread" by getting themn hooked on the
stuff (i.e., convinced them that American-type bread is more cake than bread
:) ).

Another part of your problem is that you seem to look for _Graubrot_ ("gray
bread").  This is only one of several names, and it sounds rather southern
to me.  The most common Standard German name is _Mischbrot_ ("mixed bread,"
made of rye and wheat mixed, hence the gray color and the denser
consistency).  In my Northern neck of the woods (where it is "default"
bread) we call it German _Feinbrot_, Lowlands Saxon (Low German) _Fienbrood_
("fine bread"), as opposed to G. _Weißbrot_ LS _Wittbrood_ ("white bread") ~
G. _Weizenbrot_ LS _Wetenbrood_ ("wheat bread") and G. _Schwarzbrot_ LS
_Swattbrood_ ("black bread") ~ G. _Roggenbrot_ LS _Roggenbrood_ ("rye
bread").  You might want to extend your search using these keywords.
Northern versions of your favorite call for finely ground rye and wheat
flour, not for whole grains or the like.  My estimate is 25% rye and 75%
wheat flour for a start.  You can use yeast or sourdough starter, depending
on your preference.  No fat or sugar of any kind, just some salt!

Enjoy!