LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 10 15:46:53 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JAN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Reuben Epp <repp at silk.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.01.09 (05) [E/Germany]

> From: JRodenburg at aol.com <JRodenburg at aol.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology"
>
> My all time favorite
> word, which thankfully was in Bob Stockman's book, is "snickelfritz."
Please
> use this word and similar ones (like nixnutz, from my father-in-law from
> Berlin) with your children and grandchildren. It's an easy and fun way to
> preserve some small part of Platt.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Illinois
> John Rodenburg

The word "Schnigjelfritz" is quite commonly used in Plautdietsch.
It usually refers teasingly, but not derogatorily, to a young lad, rascal
or scamp. Its etymology is unknown to me.

Reuben Epp

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Reuben.  This _Schnigjelfritz_ sounds a bit like what I would call a
_Snösel_ [snø:sl=] ~ ['snœ:sl=] in Lowlands Saxon (Low German) and
_Schnösel_ [Snø:sl=] in Missingsch and other Northern German.  I have no
idea about its etymology but fear it has some sort of nasal origin.  It can
be used derogatorily, implying cockiness, especially when seen from the
angle of an older person who expects respect and to be considered right
whatever they say, and a young whippersnapper _S(ch)nösel_ does not think so
or proves them wrong.  I guess you get the idea.