LL-L "Delectables" 2003.01.11 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 11 21:17:00 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JAN.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject:  LL-L "Delectables" 2003.01.11 (02) [E]

Dan wrote:

> Possible, but I was totally ignorant of this expression. I only knew
> <Bauernbrot> and <Mischbrot>, which is also what I say, but then again
> I`m Austrian.
This is where it gets really confusing, because in Austria, I have always
heard the type of bread we're discussing referred to as "Schwarzbrot".

Anyway, Tom, here's the recipe for you. You may need to start a sourdough a
few days in advance.
It makes two loaves of "Graubrot"; this recipe calls for a special kind of
basket to let the bread rise in, but that's just for looks. Simply forming
loaves is fine.

Ingredients:
400 g whole-grain rye flour
250 g whole-grain wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon each ground fennel and caraway seed
1 tablespoon dry yeast (or 42g fresh)
2 tablespoons sugar (brown works nicely)
1/4 l lukewarm water
80 g sourdough
3 teaspoons salt

Mix all the ingredients; if you use fresh yeast, you need to mix it with the
sugar and half of the water first and let it pre-rise for 15 minutes. Knead
long and well, then cover and let rise in a warm place for at least 30
minutes. Knead thoroughly again, then shape two loaves, cover with a clean
cloth and let rise again for another 1 1/2 hours; sift a little flour over
them for looks. Pre-heat the oven to 230° C (450° F). Oil a baking sheet and
transfer the loaves to it. Put a fireproof container with cold water on the
bottom of the oven, then insert loaves and bake for 10 minutes (this makes
for a nice crust). Lower temperature to 220° C (425° F) and bake for another
45 minutes. Then switch off the oven, let the loaves rest for another five
minutes or so, then remove them from the oven and cool on a rack. You can
check whether they are done by knocking on the bottom with your knuckle;
they should sound somewhat hollow.

Enjoy!
Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Gabriele, Lowlanders,

The above recipe is for what I would call _Burenbrood_ / _Bauernbrot_, too,
namely a type with higher rye flour proportion, with spices and with a round
shape with a pattern from a basket mould.  What in the Lower Elbe region is
known as _Feinbrot_, and what I know by the alternative names _Mischbrot_
and _Graubrot_, has a lower rye flour content, contains no coriander, fennel
or caraway and predominantly comes in a long oval shape (so you get a
_Knu(u)st_ on each end).  The inside is a lighter shade of gray, and the
bread has a "plainer," more neutral flavor.

Note, though, that when it comes to bread and other foods, there is
incredible diversity of local recipes and names.