LL-L "Delectables" 2003.01.11 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 12 00:39:48 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JAN.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject:  LL-L "Delectables" 2003.01.11 (05) [E]

Oh dear,

when Ron wrote about the higher content of rye, I realized the recipe
contained a typo. It should be 350, not 250, grams of wheat flour. So here's
the whole recipe again, please forget/discard the first one:

Ingredients:
400 g whole-grain rye flour
350 g whole-grain wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon each ground fennel and caraway seed
1 tablespoon dry yeast (or 42g fresh)
2 tablespoons sugar (brown works nicely)
1/4 l lukewarm water
80 g sourdough
3 teaspoons salt

Mix all the ingredients; if you use fresh yeast, you need to mix it with the
sugar and half of the water first and let it pre-rise for 15 minutes. Knead
long and well, then cover and let rise in a warm place for at least 30
minutes. Knead thoroughly again, then shape two loaves, cover with a clean
cloth and let rise again for another 1 1/2 hours; sift a little flour over
them for looks. Pre-heat the oven to 230° C (450° F). Oil a baking sheet and
transfer the loaves to it. Put a fireproof container with cold water on the
bottom of the oven, then insert loaves and bake for 10 minutes (this makes
for a nice crust). Lower temperature to 220° C (425° F) and bake for another
45 minutes. Then switch off the oven, let the loaves rest for another five
minutes or so, then remove them from the oven and cool on a rack. You can
check whether they are done by knocking on the bottom with your knuckle;
they should sound somewhat hollow.

Enjoy!
Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Wallianne E Smith <faustangel at juno.com>

> Note, though, that when it comes to bread and other foods, there is
> incredible diversity of local recipes and names.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Thank you, Gabriele, for posting that recipe!

Now, another bread related question.  On a trip to Groningen,
Netherlands, I came across some bread that looked like plain old white
bread, but was sweet.  What was this called and how can I make it myself?
 Also, since some of the bread is named after areas from where it does
not come, what do they call such bread in the area that it is named
after?

Also, is there any way to mail order the chocolate hagel (sprinkles) used
on bread in the US?

Thanks!

--Anne Smith