LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.01.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 12 19:25:59 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JAN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject:  LL-L "Orthography" 2003.01.11 (03) [S]

John Tait

I have long wondered how and when the Scots language came to be adopted by
the lowlanders of Scotland?

I have fond memories of the language from exposure in, of all places,
Flatbush in Brooklyn, NY.  I used to go to Science Fiction fan meetings at
the house of Doctor John Boardman.  Sometimes, when John had had quite a bit
of beer, he would sing Scots bawdy ballads such as the Ball of Kerimuir,
with the proper Scots pronounciation.  Very pleasurable memories.  When he
was in his prime, I would have bet that John could drink any other physicist
under the table.

Tom Byro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Tom,

As to the history of Scots, to start with, you might want to read Sandy
Fleming's introduction to Scots on "Lowlands Talk"
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/), a project with which we need some more
help, especially translation into French and Spanish) and Andy Eagle's "Wir
Ain Leid," which you can reach from the index page of his excellent web
resources: "Scots Online" (http://www.scots-online.org/).

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:  LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.01.11 (07) [E]

Ian,

It is precisely for the reasons you detail that a Dutch friend of mine in
Amersfoort near Utrecht is convinced that, in his words, "Afrikaans is the
Dutch of the future" - i.e., an 'easier, more relaxed' Dutch, influenced
more and more by English.

He loved the possibility.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.