LL-L "Language policies" 2003.01.15 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 15 15:31:35 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JAN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: ntl <shoogly at ntlworld.com>

I received a letter form the Gaelic organisation CLI yesterday. It is of
relevance to Scots too.  They say that on 8th October Edinburgh City council
agreed 1) to consider more fully the implications of the European Charter
for minority languages and 2) to undertake full consultation with the
Edinburgh Gaelic community on the Council's provision for Gaelic language
3 ) to make a comparison with the situation in Wales and Cardiff and 4 ) "to
report further on Gaelic provision by the Culture and Leisure department".

In respect to 1) above - as Scots falls within this charter - and there is
no mention of them looking at provision for Scots - I wondered if there is
anything we could do - as there are more Scots speakers than Gaelic speakers
in Edinburgh ( not anti-Gaelic - as I have said - I am a Gaelic speaker ) -
but there is no provision for Scots in schools in Edinburgh

Chris Ferguson

----------

From: ntl <shoogly at ntlworld.com>
Subject: Edinburgh City council and minority languages

forgot to say additionally - Edinburgh city council are having a meeting
with ClI and the city councils director of the Department of leisure and
Recreation and with the head of library and information services Museums and
Arts on 20th January for exploratory talks. CLI asks you if you wish to
provide them with any views or information for this meeting ( they need to
know this Friday at the latest ) - contact CLI at:

Peadar Morgan
cli at cli.org.uk ( www.cli.org.uk )

tel: + 44 (0) 1463 226710

I'm wonderin if there's some ways wes can lobby these high heid yins fae the
cooncil aboot Scots in Embra!!!

Chris Ferguson