LL-L "Resources" 2003.01.18 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 18 18:32:33 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JAN.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject:  Resources

Roger Thijs wrote:

> I added a few pages to my site about dialects in Belgium (+ South Nl):
>
> - a map with the dialect area's as they are thought to have been in the
> 13th
> century:
> http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/lang/lg/mapdu/vmn.htm

What a nice map! I especially like that it acknowledges the fact that large
parts of the Dutch 'rivierengebied' (South-Gelderland) coincide with the
Brabantish dialect area (on the map: Brabant-Noord).
Also, 'Nederrijn' aspects can still be heard in the local dialects of those
areas today: Nijmegen, Cuijk and the northern part of Dutch Limburg.

regards,
Mathieu

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Mathieu re Roger's announcement under yesterday:

> > http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/lang/lg/mapdu/vmn.htm
>
> What a nice map!

I totally agree.  In fact I am very much impressed by Roger's entire web
presentation about the languages of Belgium
(http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/lang/langbel.htm, with
references to related varieties outside Belgium), just as I am impressed by
your own site about the languages of the Netherlands
(http://streektaal.cjb.net/), both of which go nicely with other Lowlanders'
presentations, such as Scots information presented by Colin
(http://www.btinternet.com/~lcwilson/colin.htm), Andy
(http://www.scots-online.org/), John Magnus (http://www.wirhoose.co.uk/),
Sandy (http://scotstext.org/) and others, also several subscribers'
presentations about Lowlands Saxon (Low German).  All in all, it comes out
as being a hefty chunk of valuable information and an educational service to
the global public, not to mention our Lowlands-L team efforts, such as
"Lowlands Talk" (http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/), in which, you, Mathieu,
are taking a very large part (and most subscribers do not even know the true
extent of it yet), and for which we need more volunteers, especially
translators.

Don't let apparent silence discourage you in your efforts, folks!  Your
efforts *are* appreciated.

Cheers!