LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.19 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 19 19:11:44 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JAN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.01.16 (06) [E]

> From: Pepijn Hendriks pepijnh at gmx.net
> Subject: LL-L "Virus" 2003.01.13 (07) [E]
>
> Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl> wrote:
>
>> The Dutch translation looks OK to me...Although I doubt that a
>> Dutchman would actually use "bijlage" instead of the commonly used
>> English alternative "attachment"!
>
> I don't think I agree with you. I often use 'attachment', but I think
> I can be heard saying 'bijlage' as well. It sounds to me like a
> neutral way of describing email attachments. Also, Dutch uses the
> same words for enclosures with regular letters.
>
> Remember that it takes some time for Dutch equivalents to get
> accepted. Back in the time when computers made their first
> appearance, everyone was talking about their 'keyboards', 'monitors',
> and 'hard disks'. These words have largely been superseded by
> 'toetsenbord', 'beeldscherm' and 'harde schijf'.
>
> (Okay, 'monitor' can still be heard a lot, but 'beeldscherm' is used
> at least as often. An English word that has stuck is 'printer',
Hello,
And "print" isn't perhaps a  word that we took from the English
language.
The first English book was printed in Flanders. And i have seen many
Flemish (Dutch) books of the early period that mentione
"geprint/geprent"The word "prent" is also a V or D word.
Greetings
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Etymology

While preparing a map of the county of Hainaut (in Dutch: Henegouwen) for my
webpages,
( http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/terr/hain/haincr.htm)
I was surprised by the etymology I found in the literature.

The old county was the successor of the Carolingian "pagus Famars"
Famars (Fanum Martis, Temple of Mars) is a little town South of Valenciennes
and it replaced for some time the old Roman town Bavay as center of
importance.

Somehow, when the pagus became a county, now with Mons (Dutch: Bergen) as
capital (and Valenciennes as second capital) it got a new name, lended from
the river "Haine": in French: Hainau(l)t, in Dutch: Henegouwen.
The North of the county is at the language border line and had several Diets
speaking municipalities, (some still are)

What it is curious I think is the etymology given for the "Haine", the
river:
Hago (old germanic for: forest) --> Hagino --> Haine/Hene.

Is it logical that the "g" is absorbed and the "n" is left? I would have
expected otherwise.

Regards,

Roger

PS. When looking at the 16th century map: Hainaut/Henegouwen lost about 45%
of it's territory in the West, as a result of several treaties of the
Spaniards and Austrians with France (1659, 1668, 1678, 1697, 1699, 1713,
1769, 1771), since peace was systematically bought with some land of the
Southern Netherlands

----------

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.01.18 (02) [E]

Congratulations, to Ian's superb site on Ulster-Scots.
While browsing on his site, I found out  that some amazing similarities
occur
with western French-Flemish (North of France) next to the town of
Sint-Omaars
(St-Omer).
There they speak of a brigge (for bridge) just like in Ulster-Scots. In
other
Dutch or Flemish it is brugge. The same thing happens for  the word "kirk"
(church) where they use kirke instead of kerke.

Another thing which amazed me was the Gothic stem "gretn" which seems to be
used in Scots for weeping.
In westflemish we use the word 'grèètn' for laughing with somebody on a
sarcastic , cynical way.
Are there any similarities known in f.e. Afrikaans?

Denis Dujardin

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Luc (above):

> The first English book was printed in Flanders. And i have seen many
> Flemish (Dutch) books of the early period that mentione
> "geprint/geprent"The word "prent" is also a V or D word.

Also the verb _printen_ ~ _prenten_ ~ _prenkeln_ 'to print', 'to emboss';
'to write with printed letters', 'to write clearly', 'to do calligraphy', in
some Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects; and these are pretty old words I
believe.

In some Rhenish areas, _Printen_ are gingerbread cookies embossed with
patterns (thick versions of _speculaas_ if you will).

This group of words appears to come from Old French _priente_ ~ _preinte_ <
Latin _premere_ 'to press'.

Roger (above):

> What it is curious I think is the etymology given for the "Haine", the
river:
> Hago (old germanic for: forest) --> Hagino --> Haine/Hene.
>
> Is it logical that the "g" is absorbed and the "n" is left? I would have
expected otherwise.

Cf. the surname _Haan_ ~ _Hahn_ < _Hagen_ < *_haag+(@)n_ (_haag_ < _hago_
'grove', 'wooded area'.

Denis (above):

> There they speak of a brigge (for bridge) just like in Ulster-Scots.

Also _Brigge_, _Briggje_, _Brigg(j)_ etc. in some far-eastern Lowlands Saxon
(Low German) dialects (which have undergone unrounding of front vowel,
probably under Slavic and/or Baltic influence).

> Another thing which amazed me was the Gothic stem "gretn" which seems to
be
> used in Scots for weeping.
> In westflemish we use the word 'grèètn' for laughing with somebody on a
> sarcastic , cynical way.
> Are there any similarities known in f.e. Afrikaans?

Also _greet_, _grete_ , _gret_ 'to cry', 'to weep', 'to lament' in Mainland
Scotland dialects of Scots.  Cf. Danish _græde_, Norwegian (Bokmål) _gråte_,
Swedish _gråta_, Icelandic _gráta_ 'to cry', 'to weep' (and also bear in
mind that Scots, like English, has been strongly influenced by medieval
Norse language varieties).