LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.20 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 20 18:59:46 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JAN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Marco Evenhuis <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.19 (02) [E]

Denis Dujardin wrote:

> Congratulations, to Ian's superb site on Ulster-Scots.
> While browsing on his site, I found out  that some amazing similarities
> occur
> with western French-Flemish (North of France) next to the town of
> Sint-Omaars
> (St-Omer).
> There they speak of a brigge (for bridge) just like in Ulster-Scots. In
> other
> Dutch or Flemish it is brugge. The same thing happens for  the word "kirk"
> (church) where they use kirke instead of kerke.
> Another thing which amazed me was the Gothic stem "gretn" which seems to
be
> used in Scots for weeping.
> In westflemish we use the word 'grèètn' for laughing with somebody on a
> sarcastic , cynical way.

In Zeelandic, forms like _stik_ (Du. _stuk_, 'piece'), _rik_ (Du. _rug_,
'back'), _din_ (Du. _dun_, 'thin') and _rind_ (Du. _rund_, 'cow'/'cattle')
are still in use. The word _brigge_, as mentioned for the West-Flemish as
spoken in northern France by Denis, is still remembered by older people and
can be found in placenames like the village of _Brigdamme_ (which sports
centre is in fact called _Sportpark de Brigge_.
The West-Flemish word _grètn_ is also in use here in Zeeland (_grètn_ or
_grète_). The meaning is exactly the same as mentioned by Denis.

Marco