LL-L "Language survival" 2003.01.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 23 15:36:44 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2003.01.21 (02) [E]

Hi all,
Gabriele wrote:
> I don't see how anyone could take exception to that; I think that by
> "random" violence he meant that the perpetrators did not know the victims
> personally and would have killed any other stranger in their place just
the
> same. Of course the Sovyet bombings were deliberate, just like the bombing
> of Dresden, the Holocaust, ethnic cleansing of Native Americans, rape and
> murder between Serbs and Croats, the bombing of London, and past and
future
> bombings of Iraq. Still, the bomb that drops on your head picks you at
> random, not for who you are but for what you stand for. That's war for
you.

Thank you, Gabriele, for your considered response.
Of course, you are sadly right.
Still, the term "in some cases" hurts,
having lived through mass killings.
Jews or Germans, Tutsis or Sioux, one is one too many.
Every day there is more of the same.
Best wishes to you and courage to us all,
Mike Wintzer

----------

From: Marco Evenhuis <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language enclaves" 2003.01.22 (06) [E]

liza janse wrote:

> I mentioned in email to theo  that I have been
> in contact with mister f. rozemond from sowkerken.nl,
> he suggested me go to www sowkerken.nl klik
> periodieken vervolgens elk. kwartaal vervolgens 2e
> jaargang nr 2 dan pagina 8 en 9.
> I tried this but unfortunately the file would not open
> but these pagen are about a journey to brasil to visit
> these people in the village holanda province esperito
> santo.

The file you mentioned is a PDF-file which can be opened with AcrobatReader,
a small programme that can be downloaded for free at numerous locations.

The article in the file you mentioned, consits of only one page and hardly
contains any information about the group of Zeelanders in Brazil. It does
proof however, that at least one church (I believe it's an Lutheran church)
still has contact with the Zeelanders. Might be wurth checking that out!

Please note that the article Liza mentioned mixes up two groups of
immigrants: the unfortunate, impoverished, 4th and 5th generation Zeelanders
in the village of Holanda and the more well-off 2nd and 3rd generation Dutch
immigrants from all parts of the Netherlands, who live in succesfull 'Dutch'
agricultural communities throughout Brazil.
Interestingly enough, these 2nd and 3rd generation Dutch already lost their
language for the most part, while the 4th and 5th generation Zeelanders are
(to a certain extend) still able to speak their old language.

regards,

Marco