LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 23 16:25:05 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.22 (04) [E]

This consonants-shifts did not only occur in Frisian
and English but also in Low Saxon though nowadays this
is only evidence in place names such as Itzehoe which
used to be origionally Ikehoe, another example is
Wakebek to Wasbek. Therefore it is more likely that
this shift was already effective during the period
when the Anglo-Saxons conquered the British Isles. The
consonants then changed again in the North of the
British Isles from e.g "church" to "kirk" due to the
Viking-invasions and settlements, in particular Danish
appears to be responsible for this changes as "church"
is "kirk" in Danish, also the development of "ei" to
"egg" and possibly "ik" to "I" (Danish "jeg" is
pronounced like German "Jei") and many other changes.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Helge,

Thanks for the interesting input above.

> The
> consonants then changed again in the North of the
> British Isles from e.g "church" to "kirk" due to the
> Viking-invasions and settlements, in particular Danish
> appears to be responsible for this changes as "church"
> is "kirk" in Danish

Actually, it's _kirke_ in Standard Danish.

> and possibly "ik" to "I" (Danish "jeg" is
> pronounced like German "Jei") and many other changes.

That's "yie" for English speakers (IPA [jaI]).

Had Danish undergone the shift from [jeg] to [jaI] at that time already?  If
so, Danish orthography is even more conservative than I had thought.

I do know that in certain positions /g/ had become fricative already in
Viking-era Danish, as evidenced by runic variation between <g> and <h> in
such cases (e.g., _lagði_ ~ _lahþi_ 'laid').  But had /(j)e/ already been
lowered before /g/?