LL-L "Resources" 2003.01.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 26 01:38:07 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JAN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.25 (01) [A]

Does anyone know where I can get profiles on Germanic dialects by city
and/or province? I am very interested in that, but I have not been able to
find anything on specific city information. For example, do they say Mutter
in Hamburg or Moeder? That is just an example, but it serves.

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Resources

I added a page with several excepts from a law book in Southern Dutch from
1666:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/dutch/cobel/cobel.htm

It comes from a large size book, still in good condition except for the
cover, I found on the flee market a couple of years agoo.

When selecting, I focussed mainly on "censorship" and "exclusivity for latin
as bible language".

One paragraph deals with "egyptians".
Could "gypsies" be meant with this?
(In my dialect we used "bohemers" (bohemians) for gypsies)

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ben (above):

> Does anyone know where I can get profiles on Germanic dialects by city
> and/or province? I am very interested in that, but I have not been able to
> find anything on specific city information.

I wish.  This is detailed information that I am afraid is not yet easily
accessible online.  It is buried in dialectological catalogs in libraries
all over the place.  Perhaps with time it will be collected to be available
online.  There are humble beginnings, such as an evolving online dialect
dictionary of the Danish dialects of Jutland.

> For example, do they say Mutter
> in Hamburg or Moeder?

I happen to be a native "Hamburger."  Normally my reply would be preceded by
the question "Which dialect are you talking about?"  Like all places in
Northern Germany, Hamburg has two languages: (1) the indigenous language
Lowlands Saxon ("Low German") and (2) the imported (power) language German.
Hamburg has several dialects of each of these.  "Mother" would be mostly
_Mudder_ in Lowlands Saxon dialects, in some dialects _Moder_ (/mouder/,
with a diphthong like in English "mow"), _Mutter_ in Standard German, and
_Mudder_ or _Muddä_ in Hamburg Missingsch (an urban German dialect group
based on a Lowlands Saxon substrate -- German with a Lowlands Saxon
"accent," if you will).

As you can see, Ben, your inquiries call for rather more complex replies
than you may have expected, and this goes for practically every Lowlands
place you might be interested in.  Thus, the body of data is enormous and
very complex, not made available overnight.