LL-L "Software" 2003.01.26 (03) [E/Danish/German]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 26 23:26:18 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JAN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Daly <michael.daly at t-online.de>
Subject: k

Dear Reinhard/Ron (Ronald Reinhard?; Ron & Reinhard?), Dear participants on
mailing list,

Obwohl nicht "vom Fach(e)", I have been on this mailing list for a while and
find it very interesting.

However, I would enjoy reading the emails much more, were the rendering of
pronunciation symbols which aren't "standard", ie. the symbols for "th"
sounds and undoubtedly others used to denote the pronunciation of Germanic
languages, complete and correct.

Hence I would appreciate it if the community of linguists could let me know
what programme they are using for writing "Germanic" pronunciation symbols
and what email programmes are they using to receive these in an intact
rendering?

Furthermore, I just discovered by chance that once a Greek letter is copied
into the email which I am currently in the process of writing, everythng
written thereafter will be in Greek letters until a Latin letter is copied
into the text stream which switches it back to Latin letters. This is a
nifty feature.

Example: Ich finde Ihre Website toll, noch toller waere aber, ich koennte
auch die Sonderzeichen alle lesen!

I can't find this capability in Word, so a further question for the
community would be: how can one write in the Greek (or Kyrillic or
Polish)alphabet in Word, without having to use the function "Einfügen,
Symbol" for each letter/symbol?

Alternatively, are there add-on programmes to Word for writing continuously
in other alphabets? Is there another word processing programme which
accomodates this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mike Daly

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Software

Mike,

Good to have you on Lowlands-L.  You need not be _vom Fach_.  Or, better to
say, all of us are _vom Fach_ to one degree or other, alone by the fact that
we are open-minded enough to gather in this virtual space to learn from one
another.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question(s) but hope others will
and will be able to help you.

I was able to read and paste your Greek symbols.  But once they were pasted
they automatically changed to Western characters and revealed themselves as
German.  (After "Example: ..." in your message above).  I discovered that
the reason is that you entered them using the "Symbol" character set (which
is meant for mathematical and other types of scientific texts).  To enter
"genuine" "special" characters in Word, go to "Insert," then "Symbol" and
then choose "Normal Text," not "Symbols."  (There is a shortcut button for
character insert you can put on your tool bar.)   If you use a font that
includes the necessary characters, you can choose them from that set.

Our encoding mode (both in email and in the archive) is Unicode UTF-8.   If
anyone cannot read "special" characters they need to change their encoding
mode to Unicode UTF-8.

If you use Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express -- [Du må et øjeblik ikke
høre til, Ole Stig.] -- I recommend you write your text in Word or whatever
program and then paste it.  This way you can also change character sets more
easily.  If I want to return to Western mode, I simply copy and paste some
Western-character text from Word or from within the message and then replace
it by typing in whatever I want to say.

I understand that what you want to do is input "foreign" text more
conveniently.  There are various types of input plug-in software to enter
characters other than Roman, and there are language-specific Roman input
plug-ins as well, for Word and for other word-processing programs, even for
Chinese and Japanese.  You can download specific ones from the Microsoft
site --  [Nej, det er også ikke for Ole Stigs ører.] -- and there are
several other sites.

P.S.: Please choose either Reinhard or Ron, but *never* Ronald, Richard,
Reinhold, Rheinhardt or the like.  My de-facto name "Ron" has nothing to do
with Ronald but was given to me as a Hebrew pseudonym in Israel (when
running around with so Teutonic-sounding a name there was not exactly
kosher), this Hebrew Ron (רון ~ רן) meaning "song," "poetry," etc.
English-speaking friends picked it up, it followed me around the world, and
the rest is history.  But Ronald it will never stand for.