LL-L "Software" 2003.01.27 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 27 18:26:03 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Software" 2003.01.26 (03) [E/Danish/German]

Well, I didn't want to look stupid, so I never
complained about my -sometimes- completely
incomprehensible emails whem my lowland-collegues are
using phonetic or other symbols. Eg. the articles
about hedge/heck a.s.o., in which articles there are
more special characters than normal human language.

Yes, Unicode is known to me, and quite a lot of
phonetic and alphabet and special characters and
futhark fonts are ready to do their work, but I just
had accepted my provider 'was against
lowlands--mailings'.

What happened? Twice during the last 3 weeks I got a
lowland-message with use of special characters, and
they came through all right!! Completely
comprehensible!! Hurray! Theo is part of a normal
organisation. Away with all insanity! Alas! Just these
2 emails came through 'normal' and than everything
went back to normal, so I use my very elaborate skills
to combine dozens of character strings into one
phonetic symbol, and I know what has been written.
[Polish notation: linguistic lots of laughter].
But I'm not desparate, and I'm still hoping to join
the 'normal people'.

vr. gr. Theo Homan
--------------------
referring to:

----------

From: Ole Stig Andersen <osa at olestig.dk>

Hi listers

Ron-of-Seattle joked

> If you use Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express -- [Du må et øjeblik ikke

> høre til, Ole Stig.] --

and

> You can download specific ones from the Microsoft
> site --  [Nej, det er også ikke for Ole Stigs ører.]

[For the non-Danish-savvy among you, Ron's brackets read: "For a moment,
don't listen, OS" and "No, that's also not for OS's ears".]

Not to patch up my reputation, I hope, but for you, dear Lowlanders:

Viruses, worms, trojan horses are almost exclusively written for the
COMBINATION Outlook mailreader on Windows platform. This is so, not beacuse
Bill Gates is evil (which he might be, but if so, it's a completely
different story), but because of the market dominance of this combination.
Pests are an ecological consequence of (near) monoculture.

To dodge most virus attacks simply don't use this combination. If you use
Windows, don't use Outlook. If you use Outlook, don't use Windows.

I myself use Outlook Express on a Macintosh OS9 platform and haven't
suffered a virus attack (touch wood) for many years. I receive lots of
mail-viruses, of course, some of them directly and maliciously targeted
against the World Chechen Congress, of which I am the press secretary, but
they can't live and propagate in my hostile environment.

The Outlook applications for Windows and Mac are two completely different
codes, having only name, look, feel and functionalities in common, but
certainly not code. That's why Outlook for Mac isn't virus-prone.

Being a phonetician, though, I am far from satisified with the
language/character capabilities of my MacOS9, and I AM considering a change
(expensive, cumbersome and fraught with problems!) to either Mac OSX or -
Windows!

 If I stay with Mac, I can go on using Outlook, which I like. If I change to
Windows, I'll have to skip Outlook and use another mailreader.

And so should you! Right?

All the best

Ole Stig Andersen
http://www.olestig.dk
http://www.tjetjenien.dk/chechnya

----------

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>

Mike,
If you are using Word 98 or later (I don't know about
earlier), you should be able to go to Keyboard on your
control panel and add practically any alphabetic
system you can imagine.  It will then appear as a
toggle switch on the task bar (is that the right
term?) at the bottom of the screen, and will be
accessible no matter what program you are writing in
(Word, AOL mail, Yahoo mail, Outlook, etc.).
Of course you have to spend some time figuring out how
the keyboard works for each system, which is kind of
fun anyway.
Stan