LL-L "Language policies" 2003.01.27 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 28 05:01:01 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Policies

Guid Fowk,

Actually I would take the opposite line - the
establishment of the Ulster-Scots Agency was precisely
the time to be precise about what the language is. In
signing the charter the term 'Scots and Ulster Scots'
is hardly emphatic and probably only appears to
confirm that Ulster Scots is included under Scots.

However, this is a comparatively minor argument. The
question remains: what, precisely, is the value of
treating them separately?

There's value for the government alright - if it gives
money to the language in one jurisdiction for
political reasons it can get away with not doing so in
another jurisdiction, by claiming they are separate
cases!

Certainly Scots themselves should be strongly arguing
the 'one language' line - if Scots gets GBP 1.5m in
Ireland, what should it get in Scotland?

Or am I just getting mischievous in my frustration?!!
Ian.
Ian James Parsley
Co Down, N. Ireland