LL-L "Resources" 2003.01.30 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 30 16:48:44 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Folks,

Please allow me to draw your attention to a very worthwhile Lowlands Saxon
(Low German) resource site: http://www.marless.de/

It is presented by a very talented, *young* person who does a lot for the
language: Marlou Lessing of Hamburg, Germany.  I always enjoy visiting her
pages, because she clearly shows how the language can be used in all sorts
of ways, far beyond the narrow parameters of traditional LS literature.

I am particularly taken by Marlou's own translations of some of William
Shakespear's sonnets.  I think it is a brilliant effort worth noting.
Renate Wüstenberg has published her translation of all 154 sonnets:
http://www.hinstorff.de/@74cmZVok0ZOi2/bin/hb.pl?Aktion=B&Orig=5&Kategorienu
mmer=6
http://mitglied.lycos.de/JarmenMV/pages/Start_Shakespeare.htm
>From the little I have seen of it, it certainly is a very admirable effort.
However, I hardly think that Marlou's translations represent lesser talent
and effort; e.g., Sonnet 15:

Original:

When I consider everything that grows
Holds in perfection but a little moment,
That this huge stage presenteth nought but shows
Whereon the stars in secret influence comment;

When I perceive that men as plants increase,
Cheered and check'd even by the self-same sky,
Vaunt in their youthful sap, at height decrease,
And wear their brave state out of memory;

Then the conceit of this inconstant stay
Sets you most rich in youth before my sight,
Where wasteful Time debateth with Decay
To change your day of youth to sullied night.

And all in war with Time for love of you,
As he takes from you, I engraft you new.

***

Translation by Marlou Lessing:

holl ik mi vör: rein allens, wat hier wasst,
is bloots för enen oogenblick vullkamen
un op düt grote böhn-spitakel passt
de steerns vun wied op, swiestert still tosamen;

un warr ik wies: de minsch wasst as de plant,
feddert un dempt ünner densülven heven,
denn, duukt jüst op den vullen, prallen stand,
sluurt ehr verleden blöhn ut sicht un leven;

dennso, in düsse möör unstedigkeit,
steihst du in frisch un riekdom vör min oog
wieldeß tied mit verfall to rade geiht
un deckt din daglicht mit ehr nachtig dook.

un mit de tied stried ik, wiel ik di leev,
dat ik, wat se di wegsnied, nieg di geev.