LL-L "Maritime matters" 2003.01.30 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 30 23:39:22 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Commemoration" 2003.01.30 (07) [E]

Ron wrote:

> That's right.  The 1962 flood (wasn't it in February?) was devastating,

Wasn't this the same flood that indirectly catapulted the
then not well-known mayor Willy Brandt's career by the ex-
cellent way he handled the situation?

I don't remember the 1953 flood in the Netherlands as I was too
busy learning to walk in the much drier East of the country ...
It is true that the effects of this flood (in which 1800 people
drowned) are being felt in the Netherlands to this very day.

Gustaaf