LL-L "Animals" 2003.01.30 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 30 23:12:46 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2003.01.30 (06) [E]

Ed and Ron,

I cannot believe I hear "coyotes and wolves are basically the same" from
people who pay close attention to niggling details in the differences they
perceive between different varieties of Frisian!! :-))

Since I want to stay within the limits of this forum, let me just state that
wolves and coyotes may look similar to the untrained, or rather, uncaring
eye, but so do hares and rabbits although there are worlds between them.
They have totally different behavioural and social patterns; they smell very
different (coyote aroma is very similar to that of foxes; they have a lot of
other things in common with foxes, too), have different ecological niches
and also certain anatomical differences (pointing all these things out in
detail would lead too far here). It is for very good reasons that Wolf and
Coyote have very different functions in Native American folklore.

To me, claiming that those two species are basically the same hurts even
more than it must have hurt many of you when a certain gentleman recently
asked whether we "knew that they speak Dutch in South Africa". We are
talking living species here; let us not deny them their dignity and
uniqueness.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folkore

Gabriele,

I agreed with Ed's statement "My sources say that wolves and coyotes are
very, very close relatives," which according to zoological taxonomy
(_Canis_) is the case.  I did not say or agree with "coyotes and wolves are
basically the same," which is an entirely different type of statement.
"Very closely related" does not equal "basically the same," neither in
zoology (wolves & coyotes = Canis) nor in linguistics (Dutch & Afrikaans =
Low Franconian).

Cheers,