LL-L "Technica" 2003.07.06 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L mathieu at brabants.org
Sun Jul 6 12:46:57 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUN.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeuws)

I incidentally have some problems with the Lowlands list.

1. Line breaks
When sending text in "plain text" format, I guess my line breaks are at
"more characters per line" than the list setting. As a result one gets full
lines interleaved with a single word from the end of the preceeding line.
Some questions:
What is the character / line setting of the list?
What is the advised setting for contributions (I guess a few characters less
for covering trailing blanks at the end as well as reply indent prefixes)?
In the past one was not allowed to use html for submitting contributions.
Html has the advantage though of line wrapping in stead of line breaking, so
inconsistently double line breaking could be avoided. Is it still not
allowed to send messages to the list in html format?

2. Discussed before:
In receive randomly messages from the LL in "Western European" or "Unicode".
In the latter case I have to convert to "Western European" manually when
reading a message, for finding back characters with accents (as e.g. in
French)

----

Here are my PC settings:

Microsoft Outlook Express 6  6.00.2800.0023
running under:
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1

a. MS Outlook General Menu

Settings:
Tools / Options / Send
"plain text" with:
 - MIME (encode: none)
 - wrap at 76 characters

b. Menu above a received message:

Referring to some messages received from LL
looking in the menu "View / encoding"

- default in Unicode (UTF-8) as received recently:
 LL-L "Technica" 2003.07.01 (01) [E]
 LL-L "Language survival" 2003.07.01 (02) [E]
- default Western European (ISO) as received recently:
 LL-L "Language Varieties" 2003.07.04 [E]
 LL-L "Language Varieties" 2003.07.04 (2) [E]

Comment: my own messages are generally recognized on my PC as "Unicode" when
distributed by LL (though they were sent as "Western European"). For finding
back the original characters with accent, I have to swith to "Western
European (ISO" manually in the menu view/encoding above the message.

c. When composing a new message, the default settings of the menu above that
new message are on my PC:
- Format / Plain Text
- Format / Encoding / Westen European (ISO)

---
Thanks for all comments,

Regards,

Roger