LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.09 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 14:40:51 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUL.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Brooks, Mark" <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.08 (01) [E]

Yes, God Bless Texas!  And, Don't Mess With Texas!  I got a degree in
linguistics from the University of Texas, so I can speak about the thick
black stuff in the ground both as a native speaker, and linguistically.
In
phonetics class my professor became enthralled with my pronunciation of
the
word "oil."  He spent considerable class time one day having me say the
word
numerous times, so that he could place it on a vowel chart.  He
concluded
that it was rounded and between a and o.  Now, he wasn't quite sure if
it
was closer to a or o (personally, I think it's closer to a, but
rounded).
However, he felt that it was almost two syllables (maybe one and a half
;-)).  My opinion is that when moving the tongue from the rounded a to
back
l, we move through a sort of neutral position, that sounds like schwa;
hence
the impression that it's two syllables.  Let me assure you that it's
very
difficult for non-natives to produce that word.  I am told that the
Dutch
had a way of detecting German infiltrators in the underground by having
them
pronounce the name of the town Scheveningen.  Well, if we Texans ever
find
ourselves in a similar situation, we'll just have them "fureners" try to
pronounce the word oil.