LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.20 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 21 01:28:04 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JUL.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze굷s)

From: Friedrich W. Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: Language Varieties

Moin, Lowlanners, Reynhard,

(English below)

is Jau dat aalltohaup tau brüttig föör LL-L?

Na- denn koomt jo woll ditt Thema gaud taupass:

Vöör'n Stücker watt Doog snacken wii över 'n [LS] "Düvel", ook "Deibel" (E:
"devil", UG: "Teufel", koomt woll aff von [UG] "Tolpatsch", "Tölpel", [LS]
"Tüffel") un' kööm 'n doorbii opp dennen aulen "Urian".
De "DUDEN" seggt:  "[leidigen], ne' willkoom' n Gast" (UG: "unwillkommener
Gast", auch: "Teufel"; E: "unwelcomed guest", "devil").

Opp Hauchdüütsch hefft wi noch meihr Wöör' föör dissen Knebel: [UG:]
"Beelzebub", "der Gehörnte", "Satan", "Lucifer"....

Is' "Urian" 'n Sassisch Woord or koomt dat woll annerwärts her?

Greutens

Fiete.

***

English:

Hi, Lowlanders, Ron,

it's too warm for You to post at LL-L, isn't it?

Well- could be this theme does fit:

some days ago we talked about "the devil" (in LS) and found the old word
[UG?] "Urian".
It is still listed in the "DUDEN" as (E: "an unwelcomed guest", "devil").

In UG there are more words for him: "Beelzebub", "der Gehörnte" (E: "the
horned one"), of course "Satan", "Lucifer".... The [UG] "Teufel" I guess to
be derived from [UG] "Tolpatsch", "Tölpel", [LS] "Tüffel", [E] "awkward
fellow".

My question: is "Urian" of Saxon origin or, as I guess, deriving from
somewhere else?

Best Regards

Fiete.

Not Lucifer I fear,