LL-L "Language policies" 2003.07.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 23 14:50:17 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language policies

Dear Lowlanders,

According to latest reports, beginning with the new academic year (August
2003) Lowlands Saxon (Low German) contents will be mandatory in Secondary I
school curricula in the German city state of Hamburg.  Previously, such
inclusions were merely optional.

However, before you start jumping with excitement, please bear in mind that
such contents are prescribed within the framework of German studies; in
other words, Lowlands Saxon will still be treated as an appendage of
("High") German, not in its own right.  Of course, most of you already know
what I think about this.  If I had to spell it out I'd use a crass
Americanism to describe the measure: "half-assed" -- and that would be
flattery.  In fact, this "progress" pretty much takes us back to where we
were in my Hamburg school around 1960: reading Lowlands Saxon material,
nothing like real language studies.  Although this may be better than
nothing, it may barely go beyond tokenism ("Yes, we are doing something
about the European Language Charter, never mind that we aren't really
teaching and using the language.") and may in fact send the same old wrong
messages (e.g., "LS is a subordinate part of German," when in reality it has
been officially recognized in its own right and ought to be treated as
such).  I am almost tempted to say that, in comparison, I prefer it to be
covered as a part of _Heimatkunde_ (local history and culture) the way it
was covered in my school, even though I used to complain about that as well.

If you understand German, you can read about this and related matters in the
monthly web bulletin "INS Presse" (http://www.ins-presse.de/) offered by the
Institut für niederdeutsche Sprache, Bremen.